Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and thoughts. It means a great deal to me. One of the reasons I enjoyed writing Irate Savant so much was because of a sense of community--a bizarre community, but a community nonetheless.

A special word of thanks to my pal Will Collier, who is exceedingly generous in both words and deeds. Irate Savant wouldn't have picked up half of its regular readership without those links on Vodkapundit. In addition to being generosity, Will is also very honest and ethical, and I think he may have been a tad torn about linking to the Savant without revealing that he knew the author. But anonymity was crucial to pulling off the project, and if you look closely at Will's words, you'll see he never actually denied knowing the writer.

As he said on his post today, we've known each other for scarily close to 20 years, since we were undergraduates at Auburn. We disagree on a fair amount politically (though we agree on a fair amount too) but only rarely talk about politics--usually only when I harass him into doing so. Our shared passion for the important things, like H.P. Lovecraft, Battlestar Galactica, and Auburn football easily overrides any differences regarding such petty concerns as world affairs. In any case, the blogosphere and world at large could use more Will Colliers.

And while I don't personally know Stephen Green, he's all right in my book too. Thanks to both of you for the links.

P.S. I'm also glad that in his post today Will mentioned our writing professor at Auburn, Elly Welt. Elly is an outstanding author and teacher who taught me much of what I know about writing--and would have taught me much more had I not been so damned hardheaded. Her excellent novel Berlin Wild is unjustly out of print, but I urge you to find a used copy. I hate to reduce the meaning of the book by describing it in this way, but it does offer a view of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust you've likely never seen before. And there's much more, too. Read it and pass it on.

3 comments:

penitent said...

I second PDS. And thanks for the Irate Savant, which brightened many a drudgerous workday.

Lein Shory said...

Thanks. Though it won't be the same, somewhere down the road I'd like to find a vehicle for the Savant, or that voice anyway.

So, what IS in a heart? said...

Coming up WAY late here, but I do agree about Berlin Wild. I first read it when I was 12, and I'm glad to have found it again.