Thursday, May 11, 2006

Evan

This morning on the way to school Evan asked if Mommy and Mee-Maw were going to the hospital.

I said yes, and that Logan was doing better and we hoped he would be able to come home soon.

"Is he sick?" Evan asked.

"Well, his heart is sick," I said. "But the doctors are working on it to make it better."

"How is it sick?" he asked.

Evan is obsessed with Thomas the Tank Engine, so I tried an analogy. "You know how your trains travel on tracks? Logan's blood is kind of like trains, and his heart is like a train track. Imagine if Thomas needed to get to the chocolate factory to pick up chocolate, but the tracks were messed up and he wasn't able to get there. What the doctors are doing is trying to fix the tracks in Logan's heart so that Thomas will be able to go to the chocolate factory. Does that make sense?"

Evan said it did. I thought it was a pretty darn good analogy, but I don't know if he could really understand it.

"Well," Evan said after a moment, "if Logan comes home and gets sick again, then he can stay in Daddy or Evan's tummy this time."

I said that was a very nice gesture.

2 comments:

wRitErsbLock said...

be honest, did your eyes mist up when he said that?

Cathy said...

"Out of the mouths of babe's"

I'm sorry for everything you have been through. I hope your baby gets home soon.