Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Logan Update

Two days ago Logan went off the ventilator and seemed to do well, but the next morning I received a call while my wife and I were receiving our CPR training (yes, scary) informing me that he didn't appear to be quite up to breathing on his own yet and was having to go back on.

Yesterday evening he looked pretty good, though, and seemed more alert than he has so far.

The doctors seem happy with his echocardiograms, too, though it's too early to tell how his heart will develop, which will then determine what kind of surgeries he will require in the future.

If all goes well, the doctors will try to take him off the ventilator again in the next few days. If he continues to respond well, we'll be on the path to taking him home.

Initially we were asking them all the time when they thought he might be ready. We've stopped that. It'll happen when it happens, and we'll be happy whenever that is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many prayers to you, your wife, your eldest son, and especially to Logan. Two of my sons were born with complications that, though not on the scale you are dealing with, were still traumatizing to all of us. Spending late nights in the NICU, beyond the posted hours, fretting helplessly, watching this tiny creature of God struggling to breath. I bounced back and forth between gratitude for having those precious moments, not knowing if there would be more, and anger for bringing such suffering to one so fragile.

You and I don't know each other, but I hope that I can offer words of strength and courage to you. Take each moment for what it is, a precious slice of time in which you get to be present to a little angel. How many moments you have, nobody knows, but fill each of them with all of your heart and soul. Logan will know. You will know.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

I'm visiting courtesy of vodkapundit who directed me to your earlier blogs. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for finding the courage to write about this as you experience it, and I hope that the blog provides a needed outlet during this crazy difficult time.