Friday, June 23, 2006

More Waiting

No surgery today due to the infection, and as we all know, not much happens at a hospital over the weekend unless it's an absolute emergency. So unless things take a turn for the worse, we're now looking at Monday at the earliest. He seems stable.

I dread the prospect of keeping myself occupied over the next several days. It's like eating when you have a bad cold; nothing tastes good.

For the most part I've adjusted to seeing Logan with all of the tubes in, but it still gets to me at times, especially when I realize how long it's been this time around.

I feel I should balance out yesterday's griping with some positive remarks about this hospital--and though I remain annoyed about the lack of a lactation room, the positives far outweigh the negatives. The PICU seems to run pretty tightly, and that's a good thing. His nurses have all seemed excellent (as they were where he was previously). And though I thought doctors at a larger city hospital would be more aloof and treat Logan like a number, that hasn't seemed to be the case. We've seen the surgeon several times and he's been both friendly and upfront, as well as quick to answer our questions as best he can.

And much of the facilities really are bedazzling, at least for Evan, and again, that's a good thing. There are numerous fish tanks around, a children's library, a very nice garden, model trains, and some kind of big Rube Goldberg device with Ping-Pong balls. So Evan likes exploring. And I imagine that it all does make a big difference to the kids who are hospitalized here.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Yay for wireless! The hospital we were in installed a free wireless network about 3 weeks into our stay. We were very thankful.

Hope the weekend passes uneventfully for you, and that someone makes some sort of arrangements for your wife to pump... it's ridiculous for a children's hospital to NOT have somewhere to do that.

Thinking of you all.
~E